Minnie Pagel Schilo Family
contributed by Richard Temple
Although Gottfried and Friedrike Pagel's descendants seem to make up the largest Pagel family in Texas, we're not the only Pagel family here. Some of the families are listed below. If you are researching one of these families and have a correction or need the name of someone else researching one of these families, please contact Rox Ann Johnson.
1. August Pagel & Helene Schilling Family
August Pagel (May 1850 - ca 1900) immigrated in 1865 and Helene Schilling (4 Sep 1853 - 7 May 1939) born near New Ulm, Austin Co, TX. They married October 6, 1874 at Hallettsville in Lavaca County. Their children were the following:
- Emilie Johanne Wilhelmine (7 Jun 1876 - ?), probably died as a young woman
- Frederick Johann August (6 Feb 1878 - 26 Feb 1937), never married
- Anna (21 May 1879 - 30 Mar 1946) married George Mason
- Lina Marie (22 May 1881 - 12 May 1916), never married
- Otto Julius (27 Mar 1883 - 1 May 1965), never married
- Louise Amalie (4 Oct 1884 - ?), probably died as a young woman
- Wilhelmine (3 Mar 1887 - 26 May 1958) married Thomas F. Stockton
- Minnie J. (26 Dec 1888 - 1 May 1970), never married
- Emma (7 Dec 1892 - 17 Jun 1977), never married
- Augusta Helen (4 May 1893 - 4 Jul 1950), never married
- William (21 Aug 1897 - 28 Dec 1956) married Laura Pohl
Joyce Stancik is a descendant of Wilhelmine Pagel Stockton and researches this family.
The 1870 Colorado County, Texas census shows the following Pagel family at Frelsburg (near New Ulm):
I believe the eight-year-old in the previous entry is Wilhelm F. (William) Pagel (7 May 1861 - 6 Nov 1943) born in Pommern, immigrated to Texas in 1866. In 1885 he married Emilie Sell (15 Mar 1863 - 16 Sep 1909) who was born in Lankowitz. They farmed near New Ulm in Austin County before moving to the Meeks community in Bell County in 1890. Their children were the following:
- Godfrey Pagel, 46
- Sophia, 16 [probably married Jacob Bossler in 1879]
- Augusta, 14 [probably married Thomas Schmidt or Schmitt in 1879]
- William, 8 [see below]
- Amelia, 6 [married Emil Sell in 1884]
After Emilie died William Pagel married Lydia Voelkel in 1913 in Lavaca County and later lived at Bishop. Descendants of this William Pagel include the owners of the Pagel jewelry stores in Round Rock and Temple.
- Hugo August (18 Sep 1886 - 15 Aug 1963) married Emma Stroh
- Clara Louise (27 May 1889 - ?) married Louis Dornhoeffer
- Annie Marie (5 Jul 1890 - 16 Oct 1937) married ?
- Albert Ernest (28 May 1893 - ?) married Anna Kramer
- Louis William (23 July 1895 - Mar 1979) married Ida Louise Kramer
- Ella Bertha ( 10 Jun 1896 - ?) married ?
- Edward Otto (16 Jun 1898 - Jun 1959) married Hulda Peck
- Wilhelmina Johanna (22 May 1900 - 2 Apr 1982) married Otto Edward Hoff
- Helen Emily (6 Dec 1902 - ?) married Herman Wm. Paul Juergens
- Lydia Sophie (1 Oct 1905 - ?) married Paul Kaiser
3. Wilhelm Pagel &. Dorothea Hemke Family
|Wilhelm F. Pagel (9 Feb 1820 - 5 Nov 1902) and Dorothea “Louise” Hemke immigrated with their family ca. 1858 and settled near Frelsburg in Colorado County. Dorothea passed away between 1861 and 1870 and Wilhelm married Carol Bendikt Koch, a widow with four children who was living nearby. Wilhelm and Caroline are buried in the Trinity Lutheran Cemetery at Frelsburg. Wilhelm and Louise Pagel's children included:
- Wilhelmine (1844 - ?) married June Schreib and lived in Tarrant County
- Carl (1847 - ?), probably died young
- Augusta (28 Jan 1849 - 26 Mar 1909) married John Schornack and lived in Lavaca County
- Gus Frederick (13 Jul 1857 - 7 Feb 1922) married Caroline Wolz and lived in Gonzales and Nueces Counties
- Anna (5 Jan 1861 - 10 Jan 1936) married her stepbrother, William Koch, and they lived in Lavaca County
Caroline Bendikt Koch Pagel's first husband was Friederich Koch. Their children were Caroline, who married Julius Schmidt; Wilhelm, who married his step-sister, Anna Pagel; Friederich, who married Caroline ?; Louise, who probably didn't marry. These children are all listed with the Pagel surname in the 1870 Colorado County census.
Fred Pagel and Richard Temple are descendants of Gus Pagel and research this family.
Photos provided by Fred Pagel
Caroline Koch Pagel
& Wilhelm Pagel
4. Jacob Pagel Family
In Muenster, Cooke County, Texas was the family of Jacob Pagel (14 Jun 1868 - 13 Jul 1947), who was born in Pennsylvania, and Annie (1 Apr 1869 - 22 Jul 1934). Their children appear to include the following:
- Charles H. (7 Jul 1892 - 28 Apr 1936)
- Jacob H. 23 Feb 1896 - 19 Sep 1974)
- Henry (ca 1901 - ?)
- Mary (ca 1904 - ?)
Sam Pagel contributed this article about the Jacob Pagel Store in the June 29, 1973 Muenster State Bank Anniversary issue of The Muenster Enterprise.
If you are researching another Pagel Family you might try the following online message boards: